Actors often have to learn new skills to fit the character they’re portraying. Sometimes the level of skill required for the film is so high that they end up training their socks off!
At least in the end, if acting work dries up for them, they’ll have something else to fall back on…
Olivia Munn – Sword Skills:
– Played Psylocke in the highly anticipated “X-Men: Apocalypse
– To prepare for her mutant role, she endured six hours of daily training
– Munn detailed her exhaustive training regime before filming a fight scene over the course of two weeks. “i worked for many months training and i did, like, 6-7 hours a day of sword and taekwondo training, and stunt training and wire training,”
Channing Tatum – Tap Dancing:
– Channing Tatum learned to tap-dance (and sing, kind of) for the Coen Brothers’ Hail, Caesar!
– Tatum had to take “ten years of tap-dance training and crunch it into three months,” says Caesar! Choreographer Christopher Gattelli.
Natalie Portman – Ballet:
– Natalie Portman took herself from actress to believable ballerina for her role in Black Swan, thanks to an intense training program under the guidance of former new york city ballet dancer Mary Helen Bowers.
– Portman Prained for up to 8 hours a day, six days a week.
– To help Portman build a strong, slim ballerina body, Bowers supplemented ballet classes with swimming, cross-training, and endurance exercises. “we usually started by swimming a mile a day, doing the front crawl and breast stroke,” she says. “then we’d do 2 hours of ballet exercises and resistance work.”
Joseph Gordon-Gevitt – Tightrope Walking:
– Joseph Gordon-Gevitt spent eight days learning how to walk a tightrope, juggle, and embody the other legendary skills of daredevil Philippe Petit.
– Petit led Ggordon-Levitt through multiple training sessions in blocks of 10 minutes each on everything from juggling to engaging his core muscles while walking to maintain a tight stance.
– Beyond the high wire, Gordon-Levitt also employed a personal trainer to increase his upper-body strength and balance. In the end, he could even ride a unicycle!
More in Video
10 Absolutely Pointless Uses of CGI in Hollywood Movies
CGI has enabled moviemakers to do things that are otherwise unachievable in the real world. Whether that be making a man...March 14, 2018
10 Animated Disney Movie Plot Holes You Totally Missed As A Kid
We all have a favorite Disney movie that we remember from childhood. That one special movie that brings back those nostalgic...March 7, 2018
Amazing Before & After Hollywood VFX Part 23
Watch the complete CGI recreation of a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger for the movie “Terminator Genisys” in this amazing VFX showreel by...March 1, 2018
10 Times Actors Were Caught Wearing Modern Clothing in Older Movies
Movies are pack full of tiny little details that all come together to help make each scene more believable. And in...February 26, 2018
Amazing Before & After Hollywood VFX Part 22
Amazing VFX, pushing the boundaries of green screen and computer-generated imagery, as always. This time we explore some incredible Visual effects...February 22, 2018
10 Mistakes in Big Hollywood Superhero Movies
Every year there are more and more superhero movies being made and every year they’re just getting better and better, with...February 16, 2018